Many of the commercial sunscreens contain toxic ingredients that actually raise the risk of skin cancer. However, natural sunscreen can get very pricey especially if you are like me with a family of 5! So I formulated a sunscreen that I make at home and is non toxic and all natural. While you are blocking the harmful rays of the sun, your skin is getting nourished with all of the wonderful natural ingredients. Your skin will look and feel better than before you started using it. I do believe that letting Vitamin D in is very important to our overall physical and mental well-being. So, when you know you are going in the sun for a long time lather this yummy all natural sunscreen all over your body! Also, you can add essential oils to this recipe that will protect against insects. I have posted them below! Remember to lather after spending time in water! I do not have a way to test the SPF but it is around 24-30.
Enjoy the sun the healthy way!
(Click on Orange links to get to the ingredients you need)
* If you are allergic to zinc you can add carrot seed oil, raspberry oil and olive oil to the coconut and avocado oils. they all have a natural SPF.
NOTE: avoid using citrus oils, such as bergamot, orange, lemon or lime. They may cause unpleasant skin reactions when exposed to the sun. They also reduce a sunscreen's effectiveness.
*The essential oils that work well against biting insects
(mosquitoes, flies, ticks, fleas) are:
** The Beeswax makes it semi waterproof but it should be reapplied after exposure to water.
1. Put all ingredients except the Zinc Oxide in a glass jar.
2. Place the glass jar in a pot of water on a stove and bring to a boil.
3. Let the wax melt and the oils heat up.
4. Once the wax has melted, carefully remove from the boiling water
5. Add the Zinc Oxide and Essential Oils and stir, and then pour into storage container and let cool before applying.
***I use a squeezable container like THIS or a steal container like THIS.
Please check out my Store for Natural Care Products!
My blog for new all natural recipes ~ Click HERE
Thank you for joining me on my journey!
One Earth, One Sun, One Love,
XOXO Earthie Mama