Probiotics are basically beneficial bacteria. We have billions of beneficial bacteria living in our digestive tract. Friendly bacteria helps us digest food and absorb nutrients efficiently. These friendly or beneficial bacteria are very important to our health. In our gut, good bacteria can displace bad bacteria that inhibit our overall health.
Poor gut health can result from:
What Makes Probiotics?
Probiotics are created by fermentation. Friendly bacteria are all around us. So fermentation takes those friendly bacteria, collects them and gives them a good place to grow. Probiotics are found in Kombucha, Kefir, Yogurt, Buttermilk, Kimchi, Sauerkraut, and bacterially cultured cheese.
How to make Kombucha:
How to make Coconut Kefir:
How to make Garlic Sauerkraut:
The origin of fermented foods began when food needed to be preserved after a harvest. You can ferment cabbage, beets, cauliflower, carrots, cucumbers, green beans, garlic, onions, etc. It is a very simple process.
How to make fermented foods:
You will need:
Any Combination of Veggies:
Any Combination of Herbs and Spices:
1. Dissolve your sea salt in water in a glass jar.
2. Place your favorite combo of veggies in a quart jar.
3. Add a few layers of herbs and spices too.
(Make sure you leave about an inch from the top of the jar.)
4. Cover the veggies with your salt brine again leaving an inch from the top.
5. Put lid on but don't screw too tight. (you want a bit of space for gas to release)
6. Set your jars in an undisturbed place out of direct sunlight.
7. Taste the veggies after about 5 days. Have they soured? You can let sit for a few more days. Its an experiment, there is no exact amount of time.
8. After the veggies have soured to you liking, place teh jars into your refrigerator and they will store for months.
You can eat the fermented veggies raw. Add on top of quinoa, rice, beans, leafy greens. Add them to a lettuce wrap.
Making fermented vegetables is super easy and cheap as you can see from the directions above. If you still don't have time you can always buy them. Regardless, get those probiotics into your system.
You will feel the bad bacteria leaving and the good replacing as your gut heals and your whole body feels easier to live in.
Thank you for visiting my blog and joining me on my journey! I will keep you tuning into your most natural and holistic side. If you have any questions or comments please leave them in the comment space or send me an email.
Nature's Flu Shot