Please remember to take a moment of gratitude for yourself. Gratitude is the key to abundance and self love. Take a mental note of how you are feeling.
Low Down on Sugar
There are many things that we should regulate or cut down on, but the most important one in my opinion is SUGAR. Our bodies are not set up to handle the high amounts of sugar and refined carbohydrates. There are many diseases that can develop from too much sugar.
Eating sugar can contribute to:
- Candida – an overgrowth of fungus in the body
- Bladder and yeast infections
- Gas or bloating
- Iirritable bowel syndrome
- Fluid retention.
- Anxiety and fatigue
- Type 2 diabetes.
- It is also believed that Sugar feeds cancer.
The more sugar you eat the more your body craves it. Carbohydrates, such as sugar and starch, for example, are readily broken down into glucose, the body’s principal energy source. In proper amounts and from natural and unrefined sources, sugar is necessary. However, in our modern diets, we go far beyond what is recommended or required. We are bombarded with unnatural and refined sugars everywhere we look. Sugar is not easy for some people to quit.
Sugar withdrawal symptoms:
If you are experiencing any withdrawal symptoms, a few days into the cleanse your body will begin to rebalance itself, so wait it out. If you find yourself craving sugar, grab a piece of fruit, or drink a glass of water with lemon in it. If you juice your own produce, make a carrot, apple and ginger juice.
Some things to avoid:
- Cookies, cakes, and pastries
- fruit juice
- Ketchup, mustard, etc.
- Maple syrup
- All processed sugars
- Chemical sugar substitutes (splenda, equal, sweet n’low)
- Ice cream
Sugar foods to enjoy:
- water with lemon
- fruit such as apples, blueberries, cherries
- homemade or health food store treats that contain stevia and xylitol.
- Check out the recipes in the back of the book under desserts
* Remember to do your best to rid your body of sugar. It is okay to not be perfect all the time. This process is more about awareness around foods that might not serve you and how they affect your mind and body.
Breakfast: Oatmeal with sliced up bananas and almonds
(or any nuts and seeds)
Lunch: A Salad full of veggies, tofu, quinoa, etc.
Dinner: Gluten free pasta with a Pesto sauce
(you can even add gluten free bread with this and serve with a salad)
Desserts: Banana Pie
- Apples dipped in peanut butter
- Veggies with Hummus
- A handful of nuts
I make popcorn with Coconut Oil then sprinkle with Himalayan Pink Salt and Nutritional Yeast. SO yummy and good for you!
Homemade Pesto Sauce:
- 2 Cups of Basil
- 1/2 cup Olive Oil
- 4 cloves garlic
- salt and pepper to taste
- (optional 2 Tbsp. Nutritional Yeast)
1 Combine the garlic and basil in a food preocessor
- Add olive oil, salt and pepper (and nutritional yeast)
- Serve on pasta or toast
- 1 cup walnuts/ 1 cup cashews/pecans (or any combo of nuts)
- 1 1/2 cups of dates or raisins
- a pinch of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup peanut butter
- 3 medium bananas
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
- stevia or Agave to taste
- To make the crust, pulse all ingredients in a food processor or blender until you can press it all together and it forms a ball
- Now press into bottom of your pie dish and stick it in the fridge.
- To make the filling, blend all of the ingredients until smooth and delicious. Pour filling into crust and put in freezer for about 2 hours.
- Garnish with banana slices if you desire
At the end of the day, don’t foget to check in with yourself. This is an important part of the cleansing process. You are tuning into you.