Most of the most popular store bought Ginger Ale has very little ginger and loads of sugar and corn syrup, some are even artificially flavored and actually have no ginger? Besides the other fact that they are stored in aluminum cans or toxic plastic bottles. The most popular Ginger Ale, Canada Dry even is said to have negative side effects on the body. SO……..
It makes no sense to give them a drink full of artificial flavorings and loads of sugar when they want to feel better. One day, I thought to myself, maybe I can make a probiotic Ginger Ale that is good for my family made from all natural ingredients! I know the basics behind fermentation so I used this knowledge to create a ginger culture or “Ginger Bug.” After the Ginger Bug is made Ginger Ale can be ready every 2-3 days! This is so exciting to me and I want to share it with you so you can also make your own! The best part about it is that you have the incredible health benefits of the ginger, the probiotics and beneficial enzymes from the fermented ginger in the Ginger Bug, and the vitamin C from the lemon that is added. It is an all around good for you drink! YAY! Here is the recipe!
Homemade Ginger Ale
- 1/2 cup Ginger Bug
- 8 cups of filtered water
- 2 inch piece of Ginger Root minced
- 1/2 cup Organic Sugar
- 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon Himalayan Salt
*Makes 2 quarts
- Put 3 cups of water, minced ginger, sugar and salt in a pan and bring to a boil.
- Turn to simmer for 5 minutes or until sugar is dissolved and it starts to smell like ginger.
- Remove from heat.
- Add 5 cups of water.
- Once cooled completely, Add lemon juice and ginger bug and mix.
- Pour liquid into a 2 quart mason jar or any jars that seal tightly.
- Leave on counter for 2-3 days until carbonated.
- Strain and put in bottles (I like these ones) for refrigeration.
Please let me know if how your homemade Ginger Beer turns out!
As always, please write me with questions or comments below!