Anyone who has children knows that trying to keep them healthy is a full time job. Seems like every time they return from school, the park or social gatherings, they bring home some kind of sickness. Now, not only do you have to deal with the sick children, but you’ll probably succumb to whatever it is too. Common over the counter children’s medications are often filled with vile artificial colorings and flavors, and who wants to put something in their children that is unpronounceable?? I developed a natural cold and flu remedy for children.
Fortunately, Mother Nature has provided us with a perfect way of keeping the whole family naturally healthy and happy. I have formulated a recipe for an Immune Support Tonic that is not only delicious, but it’s very powerful ingredients combine to support and uplift the immune system. The primary ingredient is the pleasant, sweet tasting Elderberry, which is why children of all ages love this tonic so it’s perfect for the whole family. Everyone should have a large bottle of this in the medicine cabinet, instead of most of the other stuff in there.
DIY Natural Cold and Flu Recipe
- 4 cups Clean Water
- 2/3 cup dried Elderberries
- 1/4 cup Echinacea
- 1 teaspoon of Cinnamon
- 2 Tablespoon fresh or dried Ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon of Cloves
- (Optional) 2 Tablespoons Herbs such as Rosemary, Astragalus Root, Rooibos, Oregano, Thyme, Sage, Licorice Root, Cats Claw, Mullein, etc.
- 1 Cup Raw Honey
1. Pour water into saucepan and add all ingredients (except honey)
2. Bring to Boil, Cover and Simmer for 45 minutes
3. Remove from heat
4. Pour through a strainer
5. Add honey and mix well.
5. Store in a glass jar in the refrigerator
- For longer storage life replace honey with 1 cup vegetable glycerin (2 year shelf life)
- Cook Vegetable Glycerin with water and ingredients, simmer and strain
- You can replace Honey with Maple Syrup
- Echinacea and Elderberries are not recommended for people suffering from autoimmune diseases.
- The Orange highlighted ingredients above are links to buy the herbs.
- Raw Honey is said not to be taken under the age of 1. I would use Maple Syrup or Vegetable Glycerin.
Take daily for immune support:
- 1 teaspoon for children
- 1 Tablespoon for adults
If Flu comes on:
- Take suggested dose every 2-3 hours until symptoms disappear
The Health Benefits:
The Elderberry – No longer just a folk remedy or tasty berry to add to fruit salads, the humble elderberry has been studied by the medical establishments due to it’s incredible immune boosting abilities. Elderberries contain a unique protein that helps stimulate communication and regulate immune responses. They also contain large amounts of antioxidents which prevent cell damage. They have been used for thousands of years to treat everything from vision impairments, colds and flu, blood pressure, viral infections, diarrhea, and doctors in Israel are using them to treat cancer and AIDS.
Cloves – Cloves act as an expectorant, which help in lowering the severity of coughs by producing more phlegm. Cloves also contain a powerful essential oil known as eugenol, which can be used topically as a dental antiseptic as well as tannins which act like painkillers.
Ginger – The use of ginger to treat a wide range of ailments goes back to ancient times. It has very powerful anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial properties.
Cinnamon – In ancient chinese and Ayurvedic medicine, cinnamon was used for colds, flatulence, nausea, diarrhea, and painful menstrual periods. It’s also believed to improve energy, vitality, and circulation which in turn stimulate immune response.
Echinacea – Echinacea extract can be used for treating the onset of a sore throat and is especially beneficial if taken at the first signs of flu and cold symptoms.
If you don’t want to make this natural cold and flu remedy for children yourself, you can buy it HERE.
The Immune Support Tonic in my store is Organic Vegetable Glycerin based so will last for 2 years and is full of 8 different Immune Boosting Herbs.