Fact: Commercial hand sanitizers are chemically-scented and made with toxic ingredients. While, yes, they do kill certain bacteria and viruses, the unfortunate byproduct is that these chemicals also seep into the pores of the skin and are absorbed into the bloodstream. The primary active ingredients in these sanitizers are Ethyl alcohol and Isopropyl alcohol. Ethyl alcohol is also known as ethanol, pure alcohol, grain alcohol and drinking alcohol. This is what kills the germs. Ethyl alcohol is used in some cosmetics to enhance the absorption of other ingredients, which means that anything mixed with it will move through the skin and into the bloodstream more easily. There have been many reports of children licking their hands after applying these sanitizers and actually getting drunk!! Isopropyl alcohol is a petrochemical and numerous tests have shown it to be a neurotoxin, meaning toxic to the nervous system! I strongly recommend staying away from these commercial hand sanitizers.
I really wanted my children to be able to keep their hands clean at school but there was no way I was going to send them with the commercial brands. So, I played around with some ingredients and came up with these two recipes that are very easy to make at home. The first one is more like the gel type of hand sanitizer and the other one is a spray. They both work great, just depends on your preference.
Both of these hand sanitizer recipes are nice to have handy because not only do they act as a hand sanitizer, they also act as a natural antiseptic. Each ingredient has many purposes in these recipes besides just cleaning your hands. The tea tree and lavender essential oils helps to fight germs with their anti-bacterial properties. The Witch Hazel is a germ fighter among other things, Aloe Vera gel is so healing to the skin and Vitamin E oil help to heal the skin while serving as a preservative.
Gel Hand Sanitizer
You will need a squeezable bottle for this recipe.
- 1 Tablespoon Witch Hazel (anti-inflammatory, anti-microbial and fights germs)
- 8 ounces 100% pure Aloe Vera gel
- 1/4 teaspoon Vitamin E oil (natural preservative and promotes healing)
- 10 drops Tea Tree essential oil (kills most bacteria, natural antiseptic)
- 5 drops Lavender essential oil (anti-bacterial)
- Mix together the essential oils and the Vitamin E in a container.
- Add Witch Hazel and mix.
- Add this mixture to the aloe vera gel and mix.
- Shake well before each use.
* The sanitizer should last a few months. The Vitamin E oil acts as a natural preservative.
Spray Hand Sanitizer
For this recipe you will need a 4 oz glass spray bottle. (Not plastic) This is a great spray to have handy as it is also a natural antiseptic spray. If you or your child gets a scrape while out playing, this spray helps in the healing process.
- 1 Tablespoon Witch Hazel
- 2 Teaspoons 100% pure Aloe Vera Gel (you can also use vegetable glycerin)
- 8 drops of Vitamin E oil
- Essential Oils (Lavender, Tea Tree, Lemon, Lime, Orange, etc.)
- Clean Water
- Combine together the witch hazel, aloe vera gel, Vitamin E oil, and essential oils.
- Pour into a small spray bottle.
- Add enough clean water to fill bottle.
- Shake well
If you don’t want to make it yourself you can buy my hand sanitizer HERE.
Earthie Mama’s all Natural Hand Sanitizer
This all organic hand sanitizer is a safe and effective alternative to the harsh chemical-laden hand sanitizers sold in the stores. The witch hazel base provides an excellent astringent for the skin while combining with the potent essential oils to kill germs. Safe to use on children and adults!
CLICK HERE TO FIND OUT MORE