It is hard to avoid hearing about the Coronavirus. Whether it’s on TV, on your social media, walking down the street or the numerous emails that go through your inbox, its all about protecting yourself and your loved ones from getting the Coronavirus. The CDC recommends that you should be washing your hands with soap and water as much as possible and if not to carry a hand sanitizer with you. The problem is that everyone has run out of hand sanitizer and the stores don’t have any left.
Here are two recipes that you can make at home. The ingredients highlighted are linked to order.
Homemade Hand Sanitizer Recipes
Both of these hand sanitizer recipes are nice to have handy because not only do they act as a hand sanitizer, they also act as a natural antiseptic and an anti bacterial surface spray.. Each ingredient has many purposes in these recipes besides just cleaning your hands. The tea tree and lavender essential oils helps to fight germs with their anti-bacterial and anti-viral properties. The Witch Hazel is an astringent germ fighter with anti-viral and anti-inflammatory properties among other benefits and has a naturally occurring 14 % alcohol. Aloe Vera gel is so healing with its anti-viral, anti-bacterial and anti-inflammatory effects and Vitamin E oil help to heal the skin while serving as a preservative.
Gel Hand Sanitizer
You will need a squeezable bottle for this recipe.
- 1 Tablespoon Witch Hazel (anti-inflammatory, anti-microbial and fights germs)/ Alcohol
- 8 ounces 100% pure Aloe Vera gel
- 1/4 teaspoon Vitamin E oil (natural preservative and promotes healing)
- 10 drops Tea Tree essential oil (kills most bacteria, natural antiseptic)
- 5 drops Lavender essential oil (anti-bacterial)
- Mix together the essential oils and the Vitamin E in a container.
- Add Witch Hazel and mix.
- Add this mixture to the aloe vera gel and mix.
- Shake well before each use.
* The sanitizer should last a few months. The Vitamin E oil acts as a natural preservative.
Spray Hand Sanitizer
For this recipe you will need a 4 oz glass spray bottle. (Not plastic) This is a great spray to have handy as it is also a natural antiseptic spray. If you or your child gets a scrape while out playing, this spray helps in the healing process.
- 1 Tablespoon Witch Hazel/Alcohol
- 2 Teaspoons 100% pure Aloe Vera Gel (you can also use vegetable glycerin)
- 8 drops of Vitamin E oil
- Essential Oils (Lavender, Tea Tree, Lemon, Lime, Orange, etc.)
- Clean Water
- Combine together the witch hazel, aloe vera gel, Vitamin E oil, and essential oils.
- Pour into a small spray bottle.
- Add enough clean water to fill bottle.
- Shake well
*Note: If you are wanting to stay with the CDC’s recommended 60% alcohol level, you can replace the witch hazel and water with alcohol.